Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Idyllwild Paint Out 2011

"Morning Light" 6 x 12 oil on canvas by Terry d. Chacon

This past weekend was the 2011 Idyllwild Paint Out.   This is my 4th time attending this event over the past 10 years of existence for the Idyllwild Art Alliance.    http://www.artinidyllwild.com/AAI_Eventsx.html  It is always a fun event and such a welcome change of scenery.  

The event used to be in Sept., then they changed it to around the 10th of June.   Since my birthday is the 10th of June often we have other family plans and I am unable to go.   This year my son came for my birthday and we celebrated on Friday.   My husband and son had plans for a golf day on Sat. so I headed off to the Plein Air event.  

I was a little worried about going up the hill on the 2 lane highway because we have been having low clouds and fog in the morning.   Check in time was 8 am.   I emailed the organization to see how late I could check in and they said noon, so I figured I had plenty of time to make it up the hill, even if I had to pull off the road to let the fog lift.   Well strangely it was quite foggy in Redlands as I left, but cleared by the time I got to Banning, CA.   I thought I was home free. Not!   1/3 of the way up the mountain and the fog rolled in.   I could not see very far in front of me but I slowed down and watched the double yellow.   It was only for a few miles but seemed like forever.   After I got  above the fog, it was crystal clear.

I arrived at check in around 9 am and chose the creek to paint.   They gave me a flag to stake down where I was painting as they like to send people around to watch you paint.   When I arrived a couple fellow painters that I had met before were there and we chatted.   They painted on top of the bridge and I painted below.   It was funny to hear the people chatting from above as they watched us paint, but nobody came down to where I was.   That was fine as there was not a lot of room.  

This was the scene and my painting after I was finished.   As you can see the scene has changed since I started.  This is why you get as much information on the canvas as possible.  The Sun doesn't wait for anyone.   


I took this photo to show you how I got to my spot to paint.  Under the bridge the creek was flowing just enough to pass by so I get get to my spot.  

After completing my painting I turned it in at the Quiet Creek Motel and Gallery nestled back in the woods.  Such a charming place.   The owners donate the gallery space for the event.  

The reception was the following day. As you arrive for the reception they have a musician playing.  (Not like my Ellie, but he did a nice job). 

We were allowed to bring another painting to show in the exhibit.  I brought my "Jacaranda Reflections".  

Here is my painting framed and on the wall.   I had to sneak a peak through the crowd of people to take this shot.  

The crowds along with Eric Neubert one of the judges on the panel of 3.   They had 3 judges.  Each chose an honorable mention, then through a point system they came up with 1st , 2nd and 3rd.   There were 30 artists in the event and some incredible work.   They did a nice job of judging.  

The President of the Idyllwild Art Alliance Lea Dessing getting ready to hand out the awards.   They took a photo of me receiving my award, if someone sends it to me I will share with you.

Here it is.   People's Choice Award.   

It was a very nice event and I hope to be able to attend next year.   Idyllwild has a lot of places to paint, the road getting there, however, is much to be desired.  

UNTIL NEXT TIME:   Please enjoy the art!

Terry d. Chacon

Please don't forget my exhibit at the Banning Center for the Arts.  It is up until July 14. 

130 N. San Gorgonio, Banning, Ca.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon