Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Friday, May 18, 2012

Santa Barbara Plein Air May 2012



"View From The Roses" Santa Barbara Mission, Santa Barbara, Ca.   12 x 16 oil on canvas, plein air w/palette knife.   


I spent the last 3 days in the beautiful Santa Barbara area doing some new paintings for the Montecito Village Gallery that shows my paintings.  I got up early on Wed. morning and headed to the famous Santa Barbara Mission.  I have painted here before, but never the rose garden.   I found a great place to park and could actually paint from the back of my car. 


A funny thing happened while I was painting.  One of the "rose" caretakers came up and literally started cutting back one of the rose bushes I was painting.   As she cut the bush I calmly said, "you know this happened to me once before".    She looked at me with a puzzled look as I continued to tell her about painting at the San Juan Capistrano Mission and the gardener literally took out the two bushes I was painting.   She laughed and said "I have not been here in a while and decided I needed to take care of this today".    She said there were 60 people who took care of the roses and each of them had a section and that this was her section.    So I kept painting and she kept cutting.   However, other people who were walking their dogs around the mission stopped by and were very curious about the painting.   Some people love art and some people don't!  

Photo of the view I was painting.   Note the bush on the right with no roses!  Just sayin........

"Along the Coast" 9 x 12 oil on canvas w/palette knife.

After a great lunch with friends at the Summerland Beach Cafe  http://www.summerlandbeachcafe.com/ , I went down Evans Road to find a place to paint.    I have painted here many times.  I wanted to paint a distant view of Santa Barbara bluffs.   The vantage point up from Evans Park was the place to be.   Again I was able to paint right out the back of my car.   Makes you feel a little bit more comfortable when you are on a road by yourself along the coast.   I loved the atmosphere in the late afternoon for this painting.   




"Pathway to Santa Barbara"   9 x 12 oil on canvas w/palette knife.

After a wonderful morning at the Mission and lunch with Abbe and Gary and a quick nap, I headed down to the Biltmore Hotel.   I was luck to find this place to park as it was a beautiful afternoon and a lot of people were visiting the beach.    I have not painted from this point before and was very happy to find it.  I liked the path and all the rocks.    This view is looking towards the harbor in Santa Barbara.    

After painting we enjoyed a lovely dinner at


"Sunrise on the Shore"  6 x 12 oil on canvas.  

What a view.   Abbe had sent me down to Shoreline Park thinking I would be able to paint some boats in the harbor.   As I looked around the area I just could not help getting excited over this view.  


After I finished painting I snapped this photo.   You could still see the beautiful reflection of the sun on the water.   I really enjoyed this spot and cannot wait to go back and do a larger painting from this view. 

Montecito Village Frame and Art Gallery


Montecito Village Frame and Art Gallery
1485 East Valley Rd.
Montecito, Ca.
805-969-0524 

 Be sure to stop by and see some new works by me.     Below are a couple new still life's now available there.   As well as a three Grand Canyon paintings, several beach scenes.   Go by if you are in the area and be sure to tell Joyce I sent you in. 



"The Vanishing Pass" 


Terry at "The Vanishing Pass" exhibit at Jack's Fine Art and Framing Gallery in Beaumont, Ca.
226 East 6th Street
  


The reception was a huge success.   I hope you will be able to go by and see the show.    

Banning Center for the Arts

New works from Napa Valley and Temecula wineries are now available in the Master Gallery.

130 N. San Gorgonio
Banning, Ca. 

Interested in prints or note cards of my paintings, be sure to check out Fine Art America.


Until next time, PLEASE ENJOY THE ART!     Terry d. Chacon

You can also see 2 of my paintings at The National Orange Show this memorial weekend.   A juried event for California artists.  Starting Thursday May 24 through May 28.  A perfect way to view beautiful art and get in out of the heat.  

Coming soon the Market Place at Segil Gallery and Art Source in Pasadena.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon